From: Kent A. Reed [mailto:kentallanr...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, 29 March 2013 12:52 AM
To: Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] convert g1s to g2/3s

On 3/28/2013 7:56 AM, BRIAN GLACKIN wrote:
> G64 does this for you without changing the code.
>

> See
> http://www.linuxcnc.org/docs/html/gcode/gcode.html#sec:G64
>
> for more details.
> On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 6:17 PM, Frank Tkalcevic <
> fr...@franksworkshop.com.au> wrote:
>
>> >Does anyone know of a script that converts G1 line segments into
>> >G2/G3 curves?  In the src tree I found author.py which has an
>> >implementation of the Douglas-Peucker simplification algorithm, but
>> >I can't see where it is used.  Is there a script anywhere that uses it?

Frank:

If you are after speed rather than fidelity, then Brian's answer is spot on.

Let's be clear though that both G64 and the Douglas-Peucker algorithm are
just smoothing filters. They neither know nor care that your original curves
are composed of circular-arc segments. If it's important to you to preserve
their circular-arc character then you need to use a toolpath generator that
works from your original 3D model rather than the triangulated surface model
that was extracted from the model and transferred to Slic3r via an STL file.
I seem to recall the subject of recreating circular arcs from line segments
has been discussed on this list in the past but I don't recall any magic
solutions being offered.

I'm intrigued by the juxtaposition of the words "Slic3r" and "router".
Are you using Slic3r to create 2D contours that you cut with a CNC router or
are you using a CNC router with an extruder as a 3D printer?
If the former, then you may want to look at so-called waterline milling
algorithms used in CAD/CAM to see if you can generate more efficient
toolpaths. Our very own Anders Wallin has opined on the subject
(http://www.anderswallin.net/category/cnc/cam/waterline-cam/).

Regards,
Kent