On Wed, 10 Apr 2013, andy pugh wrote:

> Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 15:58:25 +0100
> From: andy pugh <bodge...@gmail.com>
> To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)" <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
> Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Inductive Coupling
>
> On 10 April 2013 15:18, Les Newell <les.new...@fastmail.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Hopefully in the next couple of months I'll be getting a Hurco Hawk
>> which doesn't have a hollow spindle so I may look into using the MP3
>> probe instead.
>
> I was planning on using a hardwired connection, as the IMP module does
> lose me some precious Z-height, but the tinkerer in me wants to work
> out the clever system.
> I was planning to make a "magsafe" style connector for the probe that
> will break free in case of inadvertant spindle start.
>
> I am undecided on what I will end up with.
>
> --
> atp
> If you can't fix it, you don't own it.
> http://www.ifixit.com/Manifesto

The patent has a schematic of the receiver which is very simple.
basically its just a self resonant oscillator thats coupled to the LC
resonant circuit in the probe. They are using one shots to sense the frequency
shift (probably large, maybe 2-1 or more depending on how close the inductors
are coupled)

Toughest part is probably finding the right shaped ferrite to
couple well with the ferrite in the probe.

Peter Wallace
Mesa Electronics

(\__/)