2013/4/19 Michael Haberler <mai...@mah.priv.at>

> The information on ARM ports is atm bit littered over the emc-developers
> mailing list, which I suggest to read back to last fall, and several Wiki
> entries:
>
> http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?BeagleboneDevsetup
> http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?NewRTInstall
> http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?RaspbianXenomaiBuild
>
> Thanks! I started reading, and run into boot from NFS server. Not that I
can't do that, but looks inconvenient.
Any other options for boot drive? Faster SD card, USB HDD or flash drive?

> What is recommended board to play with?
>
> my personal recommendation would be the new 'black' Beaglebone board about
> to come out - umph and I/O capabilities leave the Raspberry in the dust
> (which I think is a totally overhyped platform; it does have a decent
> package stream but thats about all of the upside I could think of relative
> to the BB for LinuxCNC purposes)
>
> the advantage of the black BB over the current one is - it has on-board
> HDMI and more memory
>
> I had no chance to build on the black BB since it isnt out yet but I dont
> expect any surprises except maybe for OpenGL support being a bit bumpy to
> start with
>
> the concept of glueing an Arduino to an ARM core is basically shmoozing up
> to the popularity of the Arduino and trying to get some marketing uplift
> from there; in terms of architectural wisdom and usefulneess I think it's
> obtuse BS that wont get any traction.

Black Beaglebone is scheduled for May, I hope to acquire it this summer.
Though with TFT touchscreen it's not that cheap, but with 200kHz step rate
I hope to skip MESA board. Is it possible to connect encoders directly to
BB?

Andrew