On 6/15/2013 6:52 PM, Tom Easterday wrote:
> I have an Atom 2800 motherboard system  running 10.04 and 2.5.2 freshly
> downloaded and installed from the LiveCD.  I have a simple configuration
> generated by Stepconf Wizard and only minor tweaks to make estop work.  This
> problem also happens when I try the sim/axis and sim/tklinuxcnc configs.
>
> Sometimes Linuxcnc comes up and runs fine, but about every second or third
> time I launch it, I get this error: http://pastebin.com/LSJGvCJX  ([EMC]DEBUG
> = 0x7FFFFFFF).   If I just dismiss the error and launch again it comes up
> fine.   I tried this on identical hardware set up that I dd'd this build and
> configuration to and it happens there as well.
>
> I was, for a while, also getting an error on exit, but now I can't seem to
> make that happen and I didn't capture it.  The start up error is persistent
> however.  Any idea what might be going on?
>
> -Tom

Your pastebin points to a file missing and then it can't create a legit
semaphore for some reason.   Is that message persistent between boots?

I had a strange problem on a customers machine that got worse and worse
- basic system flakiness and I finally replaced their hard drive with an
SSD and took their old hard drive (a Seagate 160 gb 2.5" Sata laptop
drive) back to my shop.

The drive was formatted EXT4.   Linux could not fix the disk problems
even after repeated tries.  I plugged the drive into a Windows XP system
and reformatted the disk expecting it to fail.  It took a while to
format but it did so cleanly and the Seagate diagnositic software said
that all was good!   So I imaged the original LinuxCNC system back onto
the disk and it has been running fine in my office for over a week
now.   No flaky operation.   So for whatever reason, the EXT4 file
system became corrupted in such a way that the Linux system was unable
to recover from it, even though the disk itself was still good.    That
is the first and hopefully the last time I see that problem!

Dave Cole