On Monday 24 June 2013 13:59:47 Stuart Stevenson did opine:

> wonders never cease
> I  just saw a link for a PDP-11 assembly programmer for a job to last
> until 2050
> seems as if anything is possible

Even including that insanity, because based on my experience with a
PDP-11/723, that would have to be considered insanity.  That thing was a
crashomatic, several times an hour at the end, and since it took something
like 15 minutes to boot because compiling the program it ran was part of
the boot sequence, the uptime was less than 50% of the time.  DEC replaced
everything in that machine but the frame rail with the serial number
riveted to it and every time they touched it, they made it worse.

My problems with that single example caused the CBS tv network to replace
every machine at every CBS affiliate with industrial IBM's & new software,
on their nickel.  That thing probably cost us $100k or more in lost
commercial revenue because it had silently crashed, and a channel change
wasn't done on time, so we were airing a dog food commercial we didn't get
paid for in place of the toothpaste commercial we would have been paid for
had the channel or bird switch been done on time.

No, I do not remember the PDP-11 days fondly. :(

Cheers, Gene
My views
<xtifr> wow, I think I just used libtool to solve a problem -- somebody
        help me! :>
<luca> xtifr, STEP AWAY FROM THE KEYBOARD
         law-abiding citizens.