On Tue, 6/25/13, Alex Joni <alex.j...@robcon.ro> wrote:

 Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Why doesn't LinuxCNC run? Error log attached.
 To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)" <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
 Date: Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 1:47 AM

 The error is in your log:

 [  216.183331] RTAI[hal]: ERROR, LOCAL APIC CONFIGURED
 BUT NOT
 AVAILABLE/ENABLED.

 and a good description (including a fix) can be found here:

http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?TroubleShooting#emc2_doesn_t_run_missing_lapic

 Regards,
 Alex

Well that might fix it, if I knew how to change it from read only so it can be
edited. Were this Windows I could run a text editor with elevated Administrator
rights, make the change, save it then it goes back to its usual untouchable
setting.

Is there a way to change settings so I can be a user with full access to
everything so I don't have to constantly be entering a password for Every
Little Change until I have the system working? Have to enter a password just to
change the power management settings so it won't go to sleep. (Shouldn't the
defaults be pre-changed to no sleeping or standby for LinuxCNC?)

On Windows I have my login with Administrator rights and turn off User Account
Control so I don't have the OS constantly pestering me about "Do you really
want to do that?" Are you *really* sure you want to do that?" "Come on, you
really don't want to do that!".

I'd like to do that with Linux, have it so I can do everything I need to do
without having to constantly genuflect to the ghod of security, then lock
things down when it's ready for the less computer savvy to use. Ie, when a
configuration file needs edited I want to be able to edit it without having to
hop around in a spinward circle while holding my nose and whistling the
Katamari Damacy theme song. ;-)

I've used and fixed computers for 30 years, DOS since 2.1, Windows since 3.0,
Mac System 7.1 through 9.2.2. Haven't bothered much with Linux or OS X, tried
BeOS until that company went out of business.

I've been looking around at what's included in this CD image and I see several
things that could be left out. Firefox, some multimedia software, Gnumeric and
some others. Has anyone done a stripped down, bare bones install that has
nothing but Ubuntu, LinuxCNC and the window manager/gui?

I want this box to not have anything on it except for LinuxCNC because that is
all it will be doing. It won't be used for CAD or altering designs. Its sole
purpose will be moving a cutting torch. Put a piece of metal on the table, open
the design file, cut it. That's it. Has to be something I can easily train the
people who'll be operating it.

Having other software installed will only tempt some operator to try to do
other things. Lemme guess, it'll ask for a password just to uninstall Firefox,
if it isn't an operation restricted to root access?