On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 9:56 AM, Eric Keller <eekel...@psu.edu> wrote:

<snippage>

> Sudo is a way to give certain users some, or all, of the privileges given
> > to the root account.  Do a "man sudo" to see what can be done,
> > privilege-wise, based on permissions set in the /etc/sudoers under the
> > Ubuntu OS, or /etc/sudo.conf on other systems.
>
> sudo also has a time limit that means you don't have to type a
> password if you run it multiple times in a certain time period.  That
> time limit is probably settable.
>
> You can also make a root account, but then you probably have to worry
> about permissions.

The root account is already created, but it's locked.  At least it is on
every Ubuntu build I've ever done, either for LinuxCNC or the desktops and
laptops I've built here at work.

You are correct about the time limit, the default is 15 minutes.  You can
change that by using the timestamp_timeout option in the /etc/sudoers file,
and if set to 0 will always request a password, or if set to a value less
than 0 the users timestamp will never expire.

Mark