On Monday 19 August 2013 16:57:28 Viesturs Lācis did opine:

> 2013/8/19 Gene Heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com>
>
> > Greetings all;
> >
> > In the grand renaming to linuxcnc, what has become of emc.halio?
> >
> > I am making small baby steps progress with lcnc and the machine vision
>
> > plugin, camview-emc, that that is the next error being reported:
> What a coincidence. Today was the day, when I finally connected a webcam
> to my router to use it for edge and hole center finding.
> I have 2.5.3 version installed.
> What I did was (I guess that you, Gene, already have done first steps,
> but I will include them for those, who might try it in future):
> 1) added Pavel's repository:
>
> deb http://psha.org.ru/debian/ lucid contrib

So did I

> 2) installed camview and camview-emc applications]

Ditto

> 3) ran camview in terminal

I can run camview -C camviewcfg
while sitting in the config dir I am using.
And get a 3 pane display, with the crosshairs and a center circle, drawn in
red on a black screen, while the background console logs a warning about a
failure to load pixbuf.  On that screen the camera does light up and claims
to be delivering 15 fps at that resolution of 640x480 according to the
upper right corner of the camview screen, running this 1920x1250 camera at
640x480.  The higher the definition you ask it for, the slower the update
is, less than 2 frames a second at full resolution.

But I wasn't able to make even that work until I had edited the input.v4l:0
line at the top of camviewcfg to make it read input.v4l2:0, then it would
activate the camera ok.

> 4) it took me a while to figure out, how to get video from camera
> captured and displayed on screen - I did not find any documentation for
> this particular application;

Plumb totally, absolutely point double ought zip.

I found the authors addresses and sent them a msg yesterday, but no
response so far.

> 5) saved the settings in the folder of the particular linuxcnc config,
> right next to ini and hal files;
> 6) in INI file I added:
> EMBED_TAB_NAME = Camera
> EMBED_TAB_COMMAND = camview-emc -C camviewcfg -w {XID}

That is the first test setting, it that works make it:
EMBED_TAB_COMMAND = camview-emc -C camviewcfg -g togle-caa.ui -H
campins.hal -w {XID}

According to the setup links from the .ru site.

for the final setup.

> And it worked. Almost nicely.
> There is a new tab in Axis and it shows picture from camera with a small
> crossmark in the center, which is the good news.

I haven't succeeded in that yet, that screen is blank, no buttons at the
bottom either.  And the camera does not wake up. only for cheese and
"camview -C camviewcfg" but not for linuxcnc, it doesn't activate then.

> The thing is that it updates the video very slowly, it takes several
> seconds to update the camera image and that is not so good news.
> Any ideas, what can I do to improve this? Or is it how it usually work
> also for other users?

This is an IP/ethernet camera or USB?  Mine is usb, plugged into the other
front port on an atom D525MW board.  The wired mouse is on the other port.

If an IP camera, using ethernet, it needs more power than an ethernet port
can supply, so I'm ambiguously confused as to what you meant by plugging it
into your router.

> Half a second might be nice. Any chance that the pc is too slow?

Cheese runs this camera in very close to real time when set to show a
640x480 image.  So if thats an atom board, you should be getting similar
results, around 15 fps.

> Other than that I think the result is nice, it seems that I can achieve
> setting the coordinate within 0,1 mm, which is totally fine for me.

My secondary, not yet addressed problem is in deriving a rock solid mount
for this nominally 30mm diameter camera, and one that also represents some
heat sinking, in operation it warms up about 25F.  Any slippage or wibbles
in the mount and the offsets are all toast.  And I'd like to see the
crosshairs timed from the camera output as opposed to the arbitrary 640x480
centered locations as that is potentially a source of heat related error as
the pcb holding that teeny sensor moves as the pcb grows in the heat.  But
we're likely stuck with that and will have to depend on the rigidity of the
mounts we cobble up.

> And one more question - I recall that somebody defined the camera as
> "tool 99" to treat the offset along x and y between camera and spindle.
> I did measure these offsets, but I do not understand, what to do next.
> I edited tooltable, added tool, also gave it number 99, entered offsets
> along x, y, z and diameter values set to 0,1 just to have something.
> How do I apply them? By running "m6 t99" and/or "g43 t99"? I tried the
> first and it froze for a while and did not execute any mdi commands. I
> would appreciate, if those users, that have did this, could share their
> experience.

Unforch, I am getting the impression all these folks have given up on hardy
so its up to us to make it work on Lucid or Precise when that time comes &
they've went on to greener pastures, or in the case of the MIT fellow,
graduated & gone while MIT is using the old email account for an empty
holding spot.  Or something.  I haven't rx'd a bounce from either address
yet but that sometimes take 3-4 days.

Anyway, it seems that you have gotten father than I have, can you loan me
your magic twanger? :)  I may yet have a file in the wrong directory or
whatever.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Cheers, Gene
My views
If this is timesharing, give me my share right now.
         law-abiding citizens.