On Monday 19 August 2013 22:37:33 Gregg Eshelman did opine:

> If you can lay hands on some fine, black monofilament, or whatever it is
> that's used in gun scopes, you could make an optical crosshair and skip
> the computer generated one. The real crosshair's position isn't going
> to wabble about as the camera chenges temperature and it won't be
> dependent on the video resolution - as long as the camera has enough
> depth of field to focus on both the crosshair and the feature on the
> work to which you're aligning.
>
> A google for eyepiece with crosshair shows that one doesn't have to
> resort to pestering black widow spiders. There are hunks of high
> quality optical glass with lines carved into them for this sort of use.
> ;-)

That might work Greg, but the lifetime of such a setup would be relatively
poor since I can move down at .001" to 30" a minute, eventually
overpowering the motor at about 160 lbs of downforce.  Smunch.  And Edmond
Scientific gets another order. :(  To do actual work it would have to be
made to swing out of the way, and that brings up the how do I restore it
for micron accuracy when I swing it back down question.  How repeatable is
the operating position?  I think I'd druther just generate the crosshairs &
mount the camera solid enough it will absorb the occasional errant wrench
or chuck key while changing tools.  Good idea on the face of it, not so
practical in the real world of flying swarf methinks.

Thanks Greg.

Cheers, Gene
My views
* Turken thinks little kids are absolutely adorable... especialyy when
  they're someone elses.
         law-abiding citizens.