2013/8/19 Gene Heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com>

> Greetings all;
>
> In the grand renaming to linuxcnc, what has become of emc.halio?
>
> I am making small baby steps progress with lcnc and the machine vision
> plugin, camview-emc, that that is the next error being reported:

What a coincidence. Today was the day, when I finally connected a webcam to
my router to use it for edge and hole center finding.
I have 2.5.3 version installed.
What I did was (I guess that you, Gene, already have done first steps, but
I will include them for those, who might try it in future):
1) added Pavel's repository:

deb http://psha.org.ru/debian/ lucid contrib

2) installed camview and camview-emc applications
3) ran camview in terminal
4) it took me a while to figure out, how to get video from camera captured
and displayed on screen - I did not find any documentation for this
particular application;
5) saved the settings in the folder of the particular linuxcnc config,
right next to ini and hal files;
6) in INI file I added:
EMBED_TAB_NAME = Camera
EMBED_TAB_COMMAND = camview-emc -C camviewcfg -w {XID}

And it worked. Almost nicely.
There is a new tab in Axis and it shows picture from camera with a small
crossmark in the center, which is the good news.
The thing is that it updates the video very slowly, it takes several
seconds to update the camera image and that is not so good news.
Any ideas, what can I do to improve this? Or is it how it usually work also
for other users?
Half a second might be nice. Any chance that the pc is too slow?
Other than that I think the result is nice, it seems that I can achieve
setting the coordinate within 0,1 mm, which is totally fine for me.

And one more question - I recall that somebody defined the camera as "tool
99" to treat the offset along x and y between camera and spindle.
I did measure these offsets, but I do not understand, what to do next. I
edited tooltable, added tool, also gave it number 99, entered offsets along
x, y, z and diameter values set to 0,1 just to have something. How do I
apply them? By running "m6 t99" and/or "g43 t99"? I tried the first and it
froze for a while and did not execute any mdi commands. I would appreciate,
if those users, that have did this, could share their experience.

--
Viesturs