On 09/05/2013 02:31 AM, Mark Wendt wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 2:15 PM, Kirk Wallace
> <kwall...@wallacecompany.com>wrote:
>
>> On 09/04/2013 09:56 AM, Kirk Wallace wrote:
>>
>> ... snip
>>
>> I tried AXIS but got:
>> http://www.wallacecompany.com/machine_shop/LinuxCNC/Screenshot-3.png
>>
>> so I guess AXIS doesn't work with the BBB.
>>
>> Now, on to integrating real hardware.
>>
>> --
>> Kirk Wallace
>> http://www.wallacecompany.com/machine_shop/
>> http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/
>>

> Kirk,
>
> That's not a LinuxCNC/Axis error, that's an X error.  There should be
> something in the X logs that point to the problem.  Look in your home
> directory for the .xsession-errors file.  Should say in there what
> parameter caused the X window to barf.
>
> Mark

... snip

I have some HDMI and USB bits on order, so I can hook up a monitor,
keyboard, and mouse directly. The X problem will be put lower on on my list.

It would be really nice to collect the nuggets of X wisdom as applied to
LInuxCNC on the wiki somewhere. I have used xorg.conf to force X to give
me what I need, but I'm sure there are much better ways to do this. On
the other hand, <rant on> the best practices will probably change as
soon as we get something that works.