Gregg Eshelman wrote:

> What I'm looking for is for each type of motor (AC and BLDC) is "You want at
> least x watts and n amps to at least be in the same range as the old motor."
> On cncdrives.com I noticed the torque values listed are different for AC and
> DC motors of the same watts.
>
> The old motors were 5.8 amp cont, 30 amp peak. Stall torque 3NM cont. Max RPM
> 2400. Max voltage 140 DC.

Now, there's an important data point missing from your original
question!  RPM.
So, a motor of so many Watts can be wound for low-speed or high-speed
operation.  Belt drives have a limited ratio they can provide in one stage.
So, a 3:1 or 4:1 reduction is the maximum that is practical in this
case.  Also,
as the belt reduction increases, the motor's OWN inertia becomes dominant.
That's why many machine tools run the motors 1:1 with massively oversized
motors to get the required torque for acceleration.  But, modern motors,
especially the brushless type, have low enough rotational inertia that a
2:1 ratio will be just fine.

Anyway, you can compute the linear force a ballscrew can exert from
some given motor torque, and then compute how much acceleration in
G's that will give.  That is a good exercise, rather than talking about
motor Watts.

Jon