2013/9/5 Gregg Eshelman <g_ala...@yahoo.com>

> On Thu, 9/5/13, andy pugh <bodge...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Servo motor watts VS torque?
>  To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)" <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
>  Date: Thursday, September 5, 2013, 3:19 AM
>
>  On 5 September 2013 05:40, Gregg
>  Eshelman <g_ala...@yahoo.com>
>  wrote:
>  > The old motors were 5.8 amp cont, 30 amp peak. Stall
>  torque 3NM cont. Max RPM 2400. Max voltage 140 DC
>  140V * 30A = 4200W
>  140V * 5.8A = 800W
>  3Nm * 2400 rpm = 750W
>
>  You probably want at least 750W motors, geared to suit any
>  difference in nominal motor speed.
>
>  My small knee mill seems pretty reasonable with 750W
>  brushless servos.
>  Though I suspect that I am limited by software commutation
>  at that top speed end.
>  -----------------------
>
> The Servo Dynamics SDF1525-12 is rated at 120 volts so I assume the motors
> never saw 140 volts. Still nearly 700 Watts.

I don't know what your machine looks like, but I think many people believe
they need much larger servos than actually needed. My steel router has a
gantry weight around 80-90 kg and is driven by small Nidec servos rated at
80 V (really small). I can assure you that my computer is the bottleneck
and if I go from max feed to a complete stop the whole table shakes. It's
all about acceleration, and I can accelerate pretty fast. If I don't
remember wrong I lowered the max_accel value to 2250 from 3000 to be able
to cut with the table jumping around.
This machine has a belt reduction and 5 mm pitch so I have no problem
running alu or steel despite the small motors, it's the spindle that
doesn't take it.

/S