There seem to be several issues here. This is the way to go about with a
new setup:-

Start the steps at 400 on the drive
Set the Step per unit at 200 in Mach
Set the velocity to about one third on the slider in mach
Set the Acceleration to about one third on the slider in Mach.
Apply at least 36v - 80v supply to the drives on the VM pins. Anything
less than 24v will deliver nothing.

These setting will be corrected as soon as you are in a position to
calibrate the machine so don't worry to much about them now. If you
can't get the motors to turn with these setting then something else is
wrong.

If the above does not produce results, I would think about the pins that
are used (not normal in this case)

On 2013/09/22 11:41 AM, Gregg Eshelman wrote:
> On Sun, 9/22/13, Marius Liebenberg <mar...@mastercut.co.za> wrote:
>
>   Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Very weird thing with my stepper motors. They
> don't like to be moved while running.
>   To: emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net
>   Date: Sunday, September 22, 2013, 2:56 AM
>
>   What did you set the drive steps and
>   current to? Dont go more than 2000
>   to start with and then see if you need more resolution. OOh
>   and dont use the Enable on the drive, it does not work :)
>
> --------------------
> The motors are labeled 5.6 amps, no indication if that's peak or RMS so I set
> the drives to 7.8/5.6 peak/RMS. It's the only setting with either one exactly
> 5.6.
>
> The lowest step setting on them is 400, which is half stepping these 200
> step/rev motors. Didn't get any motion except random jerks until I set the
> drives to 400 and 200 in stepconf. Should I try a higher setting on the drive
> and leave it at 200 in stepconf?
>
> Belt reduction on the mill is 1.5:1 with 14 teeth on the motors and 21 on the
> ballscrew pulleys. Haven't counted the thread per inch on the screws, or if
> they're single or multiple lead.

Regards / Groete

Marius D. Liebenberg
MasterCut cc
Cel: +27 82 698 3251
Tel: +27 12 743 6064
Fax: +27 86 551 8029
Skype: marius_d.liebenberg

---
Virus Database (VPS): 130922-0, 2013/09/22
Tested on: 2013/09/22 12:00:57 PM