On Sun, 9/22/13, Claude Froidevaux <men...@bluewin.ch> wrote:

 Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Very weird thing with my stepper motors. They don't
like to be moved while running.
 To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)" <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
 Date: Sunday, September 22, 2013, 6:20 AM

 Le 22.09.2013 06:54, Gregg Eshelman a écrit :
 > That's not the weird thing. What is effed up is that
 when the motor is running if I pick it up or move it, it
 stops running. Doesn't matter if it's laying down or
 standing on its back end, if it's picked straight up or
 allowed to rotate around its shaft axis it locks up and
 squeals. Tried two of the three, both do the same thing.

 That let me thing you may have miss-connect the motor. 1
 phase must be
 connected between A+ and A- (you shall measure low impedance
 on motor
 motor side). I have got theses strange result once when I
 wired a phase
 between A and B output of the driver.

 Claude

I've checked to make sure one coil is connected to a+ and a- and the other to
b+ and b- Disconnecting the enable line allows it to run both directions
instead of just counterclockwise. Still has a low and slow pulsing harmonic
vibration. I tried reversing one coil and that made it worse so I switched it
back. I've also swapped pair A and B locations. Always has this vibration. I
also disconnected both ends of the enable wire and moved the ground to dir -
with a jumper to pul -

Here's a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL9tzYGSVhY&feature=youtu.be

Have to get rid of that vibration and the sensitivity to motion. They're over
1,000 oz-in torque, should be plenty of rotor inertia that one could stick the
motor on the end of a baseball bat and wave it around without bothering it.

That's something I've noticed in every Youtube video of people showing stepper
motors running. Nobody ever picks up or otherwise moves them except for when
they're firmly mounted to something like the head on an X-Y gantry.