On Sun, 9/22/13, andy pugh <bodge...@gmail.com> wrote:

 Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Very weird thing with my stepper motors. They don't
like to be moved while running.
 To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)" <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
 Date: Sunday, September 22, 2013, 4:05 PM

 On 22 September 2013 22:50, Gregg
 Eshelman <g_ala...@yahoo.com>
 wrote:

 > That's something I've noticed in every Youtube video of
 people showing stepper motors running. Nobody ever picks up
 or otherwise moves them except for when they're firmly
 mounted to something like the head on an X-Y gantry.

 Moving the motor should have absolutely no effect.

*Should not isn't keeping this setup from not working properly.

 Have you tried inverting the step pulses (in Stepconf). The
 drives/BoB might need active-low.

*Yup. Still has the pulsing vibration. Change the step time? I tried upping the
microstepping to 800 on the drive. No change, just slower, still stops spinning
if I allow the motor to move around.

 The advice earlier about connecting the + terminal of each
 drive input pin to +5V and connecting the BoB inputs to the - terminal
 on the drives was, I think, good. That is how my drives need to be wired.

*Tried swapping the + and - and it doesn't work. This BOB appears to work
positive output only, with a separate ground for each axis. But wait, it gets
weirder. I switched the wires back to + and tried it again with the driver set
to 800 steps. Now I can twist and wave the motor all about and it *doesn't
stop*.
Progress! But it still has that pulsating vibration. I'm thinking the seller's
claims about "smoothness" are much exaggerated.