On Sun, 9/22/13, Steve Stallings <steve...@newsguy.com> wrote:

 Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Very weird thing with my stepper motors. They
don'tlike to be moved while running.
 To: "'Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)'" <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
 Date: Sunday, September 22, 2013, 4:06 PM

 Greg,

 The regular thumping noise, about twice a second, seems
 to be a symptom of a major timing problem with your step
 pulses. If you are using software generated step pulses,
 perhaps there is a video driver problem.

 Steve Stallings

Most likely software settings need twiddling.
The PC is a piece-o-bleep 1Ghz Pentium III Dell L1000R maxed out with 512 meg
RAM. I'll dig out a Pentium 4 Dell DHP slimline someone gave me and see if it
has better latency.