$ ./configure --enable-run-in-place

ends with:

configure: error: libmodbus3 not found!
install with "sudo apt-get install libmodbus-dev" or disable with

I'm trying to install libmodbus 3.1.0 but also doesn't pass without failure...

~/libmodbus-3.1.0$ ./autogen.sh
Can't exec "libtoolize": No such file or directory at /usr/bin/autoreconf line
189.
Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at /usr/bin/autoreconf line
189.
autoreconf: Entering directory `.'
autoreconf: configure.ac: not using Gettext
autoreconf: running: aclocal --force
autoreconf: configure.ac: tracing
autoreconf: configure.ac: not using Libtool
autoreconf: running: /usr/bin/autoconf --force
autoreconf: running: /usr/bin/autoheader --force
autoreconf: running: automake --add-missing --copy --force-missing
src/Makefile.am:1: Libtool library used but `LIBTOOL' is undefined
src/Makefile.am:1:   The usual way to define `LIBTOOL' is to add
`AC_PROG_LIBTOOL'
src/Makefile.am:1:   to `configure.ac' and run `aclocal' and `autoconf' again.
src/Makefile.am:1:   If `AC_PROG_LIBTOOL' is in `configure.ac', make sure
src/Makefile.am:1:   its definition is in aclocal's search path.
autoreconf: automake failed with exit status: 1

libmodbus3 downloaded from here: http://www.libmodbus.org/

What else can I do to install it properly?