I would not use a spring tensioner but rather tension the belt to a
permanent fixed tension. Just check it on a regular basis. My experience
with spring tensioners is that they will produce backlash or movement
because they can.
A good belt will have no stretch or very little over the short distance
that we talk about here.

On 2013/11/03 01:28 PM, Mark Wendt wrote:
> Only issue I can see here in this configuration is with tensioning both
> idlers.  If the motor is spinning in either direction, one idler is always
> going to be tightening the belt, and the other is going to try to be
> loosening due to driving forces acting on the idler from the belt and the
> smaller pinion gear acting on the larger gear.
>
> How does one account for that, ensuring the belt stays in tension?
>
> Mark
>

> On Sat, Nov 2, 2013 at 1:19 PM, Tomaz T. <tomaz_...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Dave,
>> Tomaz's picture was interesting
>> if 2 idlers are used
>> the opposing tension is kinda anit-backlash
>> and I'd try mounting encoder on one of the 2 tensed gears
>> ( if you couldnt mount on axis proper, requiring thru hole )
>> regards
>> TomP
>>

>> I think there should be something in between two pulleys, because it would
>> be difficult to match belt length just right.  That also means sacrificing
>> trough hole...
>>
>> Could this work?:
>> http://picpaste.com/pics/Gearing_02-qYmummoI.1383412496.jpg

Regards / Groete