On Sun, Nov 03, 2013 at 09:12:06AM -0700, Sebastian Kuzminsky wrote:
> Then in linuxcncrsh you can read HAL pins & signals like this:
>
> set mdi (debug, #<_hal[axis.1.f-error-lim]>)
> get operator_display
> OPERATOR_DISPLAY  0.010000

Personally, I discourage use of this feature, because it ignores one of
the main points of linuxcnc's hal: the relationship between pins is
created not by hardcoding the name of the pin whose value you are
interested in in your program, but by allowing the user/integrator to
connect pins to other pins via signals.

As a concrete example: suppose you have some kind of signal you want to
wait on from gcode.  If you have a O-while loop on
#<_hal[parport.0.pin-10-in> then your part programs are not portable to
a machine which uses mesa hardware instead.

gcode provides proper access to digital and analog inputs and outputs
via M62 through M67.  These correspond to pins on the motion controller
that you can properly connect via hal 'net' commands.

Jeff