On 4 November 2013 13:33, Jeff Epler <jep...@unpythonic.net> wrote:

>> set mdi (debug, #<_hal[axis.1.f-error-lim]>)
>> get operator_display
>> OPERATOR_DISPLAY  0.010000
>
> Personally, I discourage use of this feature, because it ignores one of
> the main points of linuxcnc's hal:
> As a concrete example: suppose you have some kind of signal you want to
> wait on from gcode.  If you have a O-while loop on
> #<_hal[parport.0.pin-10-in> then your part programs are not portable to
> a machine which uses mesa hardware instead.

I am not sure if the feature can read signals as well as pins.
Using a signal would address the portability problem.

I see your point, but also suspect that any setup using this system
with this degree G-code-to-HAL linkage is likely to be rather
importable anyway.

I used this for my lathe macros as an easy way to get values from a
GladeVCP GUI into G-code. Reading the spinbox values into G-code
without any hal-coding being needed suited my laziness, while
admittedly undermining the whole point of HAL being the mediator of
data transactions. I guess I should at the very least have had the
G-code reading signal values so that there was the option of
re-directing them.

--
atp
If you can't fix it, you don't own it.