On 06/12/13 18:59, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Friday 06 December 2013 13:57:04 Florian Rist did opine:
>
>> Hi David
>>
>>> iv'e try'd copper and even with 600w + it's difficult to even mark it
>> Yes, 600W is not enough. That's why a q-switched laser with short pulses
>> is needed. Pulse peek energy on my laser is 25 kW, that's still not
>> enough, the one on the mentioned laser was about 1 MW. This instantly
>> turns the coper into plasma. Its not melting not vaporising it, it tuns
>> a very thin layer into plasma within less than a ns. This process is
>> very controlled an would allow to remove the 35 mµ of coper in multiple
>> paths without heating the FR4 and without hardly removing any of it.
>>
>> cu
>> Flo
> Humm, thats beginning to sound like non-exportable munitions. Not to
> mention eyeball wreckers just from the reflections off the surrounding
> walls. :( Bad idea for someone not well versed in the tech.
>

> Cheers, Gene
yes and thats just for starters .
but the fireworks in the tubes are good ! ( with suitable glasses of
course )

it's fun when someone sees a laser for the first time , and sees you
cutting 1/2" - 3/4" thick steel
but try's to think of the reason why it will not cut aluminium of 1/8" ,
and that it must be faulty !