On 01/21/2014 11:10 PM, Jeshua Lacock wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I am the proud new owner of an Bolton Tools AT750 combination lathe and mill
> see here:
>
> <http://3DTOPO.com/Bolton-AT750.jpg>
>
> I am super impressed with the machine so far.

Ugh, we have a somewhat similar machine at work, it is
pretty awful.
I wish you'd asked here before buying it.  there are so many
limitations in workspace, etc. it is a real pain to do
anything bigger than
a thimble in size.

Will you be using the original leadscrews?  They have a lot of
backlash.  If you tighten a vise on the "table" it binds the
Y travel.  The Z mechanism is really laughable, backlash between
the quill and pinion is probably several mm.  I did a
square-column
mill some time ago and replaced the Z rack and pinion with an
eBay ballscrew.  The X and Y screws on that machine were quite
tolerable.

The Pico USC will be fine, but depending on the drivers used,
may not be necessary.  If you use Gecko drives with the 10 X
microstepping, the USC starts to look good due to the required
step rate.  The Gecko drivers are VERY good.

Jon