On Jan 22, 2014, at 5:39 PM, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday 22 January 2014 19:14:34 Jeshua Lacock did opine:
>
>> Speaking of anti-backlash ballscrews, have you guys seen this printable:
>>
>> http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:125529
>
> That is a cute idea, but you likely have zero real repeatability.  And that
> IS the name of this game.  The only place that would be usable would be
> with real servos getting feedback from a linear scale encoder driven by the
> table you are moving.  That of course adds 300 to 500 USD per axis.

Hi Gene,

Anecdotally so far repeatability seems perfect. You can see the "virtual
threads" marked (by a little oil on the rod). As far as I can tell unless you
exceed the pressure and make it slip - it stays perfectly in the "virtual
threads"...

In any event I am going to do some tests with a dial indicator that I can share
here if there is any interest. Also, I am going to place a level across a set
of them, place a laser pointer on the level and mark the point on the wall.
After moving to and from that point - any angular difference will be greatly
exaggerated and should be completely obvious.

Cheers,

Jeshua Lacock
Founder/Engineer
3DTOPO Incorporated