On 01/22/2014 08:41 PM, Jon Elson wrote:
> 570 Oz-In is a lot, but of course, that is only at
> standstill.  But, they
> should do fine, especially with a belt reduction.  5 A will
> require the
> "big" Gecko 203 drive.  For that, you might consider Gecko's
> servo
> motors and our PWM servo drives.  The price would be pretty
> close, and the performance will be a lot better.  I can
> advise on
> specific models, encoders, etc.

Sorry, I screwed that up a LOT.  Gecko does not sell motors,
of course!
I meant Keling, which is now
http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/

they have a very affordable size 23 brushless motor, the
KL23BLS115, good for 180 Oz-In (but that is a RUNNING
rating, not a standstill rating).  $52 without encoder.
You can get a good encoder with index from Digi-Key
for about $38.  I have found this motor to work quite well
with my servo amps and our Universal PWM Controller.

Jon