Greetings

Charles wrote:
> It looks good, but for some reason the CPU usage on my BeagleBone is
around 50%!

> I don't know if this is specifically BeagleBone related, or perhaps due to
the fact that I just pulled the configs/sim/gscreen and
 > share/gscreen/ directories from Master (skipping anything else updated
outside these two directory trees).

>Regardless, it seems responsive enough when I use keyboard jog, so I'll try
and get it working with a real
>configuration and try moving motors.

I am working with a custom GUI in GTK2 including Gremlin on my BBB. The
following are anecdotal observations. I would love to properly profile the
running code bit do not yet see how to use the available tools (e.g.
cProfile)

(a) Gremlin needs lots of CPU - I don't know whether it is screen rendering
without the hardware accelerators that is the culprit.

(b) Showing the nicely shaded cylindrical tool is costly. If I cheat, and
make it appear a negligible length/diameter one, then CPU drops by about 10%

(c) I have GCode display in sourceview widget. If code (e.g. engraving) is
very long then moving the active line in this seems very expensive.

(d) Data which is "display only", e,g, Distance To Go DROs, implemented as
labels are much cheaper than general ones that can accept input like the
machine-axis DROs.

(e) The GUI is surprisingly useable at very low rates of updating the
toolpath, G code and even axis DROs. 1 second is OK. This makes significant
average CPU savings. The this low rate is tested when running a real
machine. The audio/visual feedback from the hardware makes the system feel
snappy even though the screen is lagging. Tests with no machine are
misleading.

A BBB ought to be plenty powerful enough. Perhaps the proper GPU graphics
will fix things. It would be nice to design an experiment to dummy out the
graphics work that could be done by hardware or to verify in some other way
that there are not other bottlenecks.

Best wishes

John Prentice