Charles, Philipp, Mark- greetings

>> http://www.tormach.com/store/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=30616
>>
>> It is configured with a geometric speed law on the spring-loaded ring.
>> You can jog at full rapid speed slowing to a crawl allowing touch-off
>> to a "tenth" very quickly and safely compared with an MPG or keyboard.

>Nice unit...I forgot about those.  Do you have configs available to get it
working with LinuxCNC or does it "Just Work"?  It's not clear from
>the product page if I can just buy one and use it with a generic LinuxCNC
install, or if it only works with Tormach machines.

>I have access to some similar control panels (jog-shuttle with T-Bar and a
bunch of buttons....did I mention my day job is HD video editing
>equipment?) and it might make for a pretty nifty control:

The Contour product is of course aimed at video editing but does CNC very
well as it is practically impossible to accidentally move the machine.
Joysticks are a bit too easy to knock for my liking.

Seb wrote a component that uses the Linux HIDRAW driver to get the button
clicks as HAL Booleans; the Ring is encoded as -7 to 7 for the 14 speeds and
stop; the inner wheel gives a signed count updated on each click.  This is
in the current LinuxCNC releases and so Machinekit.

man shuttlexpress gets its doc.

I have a very simple COMP that translates the ring position number to an
arbitrary range of speeds defined by 7 input pins, latches the buttons for
axis selection and supports different step sizes. It can be done in HAL but
IMO the C is much more transparent. Thus device does not need a Tormach
machine tool to be useful.

The Tormach version has silk screened labels but is internally the same as
the stock unit sold by Contour.

Best wishes

John Prentice