On Sunday 16 February 2014 17:50:31 Tony Zampini did opine:

> Hi all,
>
> This issue has come up a few times before, and I think even I posed a
> question about it maybe a year ago. It
> has to do with tool changes.
>
> It seems to me that virtually every user of LinuxCNC would need to be
> able to touch off Z after
> every tool change, yet this capability is not built in to LinuxCNC. Past
> suggestions on this issue
> include (1) Use the "manual tool change macro" that allows jogging and
> touching off during a tool change,
> or (2) Break up the gcode into separate files for each tool. I currently
> use (1), but it is a little buggy, and
> you have to do things in a precise order, or things will get messed up.
> Therefore, I see no elegant
> solution to this issue. I often use drills in a drill chuck, so I can't
> pre-calculate the offsets for each tool,
> without having 15 chucks on hand.
>
> Why isn't this capability built into LinuxCNC? What am I missing? How do
> y'all do it?
>
> Thanks,
> Tony

Generally Tony, its pure cuss & cry, with the occasional wrecked part or
broken $15 chip.  I am with you, we need a gauge we can use with ANY tool
simple by placing it and clicking "Home all", and my design is not it.  Its
a step in the right direction, but why the heck should I have to shut down
LCNC and restart it with a different ini file that searches x for contact
when switching to a thread cutting boring bar?

Seriously guys, this is another user itch that ought to be scratched.
Hell, just another button for x homing dir would help, a lot.  Label it
XHD+ or XHD- so you know which mode is in effect before you hit it with the
mouse.  Configure so it switches the homing dir -=moving for inward,
+=backing out contact search.

Cheers, Gene

NOTICE: Will pay 100 USD for an HP-4815A defective but
complete probe assembly.