On Tuesday 11 March 2014 13:28:53 Jon Elson did opine:

> On 03/11/2014 08:27 AM, John Kasunich wrote:
> > OK, math done.  The pitch comes out to 0.1855", which has me
> > mystified, because I've never heard of such a thing.  (I've done a
> > fair bit if tooth- belt research for different projects.)
>
> Well, 5 mm is ~ .197", so maybe accounting for the pitch
> diameter to be
> larger than the pulley OD, that could match up.  these
> numbers are only
> about 6% different.  So, it certainly could be a perfect 5
> mm PD at
> the actual diameter where it is supposed to be measured.
> With that
> in hand, Gene could probably use one of those on-line belt
> length
> calculator programs to figure the correct belt length for
> the distance
> between shafts.
>
> Jon

Even simpler Jon, just add 2 cogs to the belt & everything falls right back
at the proper place.  It would take me about half an hour, piling bits and
pieces back up on top of the adjacent tool cabinet to get where I could put
a caliper on the C-C, which is very close to the maximum a 6" caliper can
reach.

The weather is good, so I'll mess with it some more today.

But I am with John K., I think these pulleys are 3/16, not XL, and the new
belts may in fact be XL's.  There is a definite miss-fit, allowing about a
30 thou belly on the back of the pulley at the midpoint of the belt wrap.
Belt cog and pulley wear (and heating under load) will be a wear factor
that can't be ignored.

Cheers, Gene