On 3/11/2014 11:26 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 March 2014 13:25:43 John Kasunich did opine:
>
>> http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/standards.png
>
> Chuckle.  But how old is that?  we must have at least 20 by now.

A perfect example is the USB "standard". It began with exactly two and
only two types of connector, A for hosts and B for devices.

Then came Mini B and for some reason early digital cameras all had to
have various odd USB connectors, often including A/V out. In 2007 Micro
B was introduced and it took stores nearly two years to realize it
existed and stock cables with that connector.

There's also a few versions of powered USB which are double stacked
connectors having one part of the ports and plugs just for extra power.

Now there's USB 3.0. The designers of it had an uncommon fit of sanity
and made both ends of the standard backwards sympatico with ye olde full
size original Type A USB for the host and Micro B for the device. The
USB 3.0 device end looks funkyweird but just plug a 2.0 cord into one
end of the 3.0 socket. But wait! USB 3.0 gets even more sanity! A USB
3.0 host plug will fit into a USB 1.1/2.0 Type A port and the device
will operate at the lower speed.