On 27 March 2014 13:26, aaron moore <aaronmo...@linuxmail.org> wrote:
> I notice that there is a configuration page for such a machine on the wiki
> site, but it looks pretty complicated.
> Here is the link to the wiki page
> http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Rot4thaxiskins

That is for a system with a tool-tip coordinate system. Unless you are
producing XYZAUVW G-code then that kinematics won't be any help to
you.

> I have seen. On a number of jobs I have done recently all axix will go
> significantly faster and at certain points during the job they seemingly
> double their feed speed then slow down again.

Are you sure that the G-code isn't requesting that?

> A rapid x move is very slow. I do have very slow old computer.....will this
> affect speed?

The computer might affect speed, that rather depends on what step rate
it can generate, and what step-rate you need.

The F-word in the G-code only affects the linear axes, and the rotary
axes either run at the speed required to arrive at the end-point at
the same time, or if the rotary axis isn't fast enough to do that,
then the linear axes will be slowed down so that they arrive at the
end-point at the same time as the rotary.

If you want to achieve constant cut-rate through the wood then you may
need to generate G-code in inverse-time mode, (where you tell the
system how long a move should take, not how fast to move). You will
still have the slowest axis throttling the others, though.

Normal feed-per-minute doesn't have much meaning in combined
linear/rotary systems. The motion planner does not know where the axis
of rotation is (it is equally valid for the Z=0 to be the surface of
the work or the axis of the rotary)

--
atp
If you can't fix it, you don't own it.