IMO, the new 12.04 "software center" has some big usability problems
compared to the Synaptic Mgr.
Synaptic package manager is clearly a different package which can be
loaded via the "software center", then you can ignore the "software
center" and get back to work!  :-)
I shuddered when I saw the "software center" as it reminds me of Window 8.
I'm adapting to Unity, but they "fixed" some things that were not
broken.  :-(

Dave