On Wed, 30 Apr 2014, Curtis Dutton wrote:

> Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2014 14:37:34 -0400
> From: Curtis Dutton <curtd...@gmail.com>
> To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)" <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
> Subject: [Emc-users] Leadshine ACS806 - Large f-error at higher speeds - what
>     is acceptable?
>
> I recently installed an ACS806 brushless drive along with a BLM57130
> leadshine motor. The motor is a 130W motor with a 4000ppr encoder.
>
> The controller is a step and direction type, with the encoder feedback
> passed back through to linuxcnc via a mesa 5i25 and a 7i86s.. So I'm using
> the drive to run the PID loop but having linuxcnc watch my f-error.
>
> I've replaced a 500oz/in stepper motor with it on a medium sized cnc wood
> shaping router.
>

> I have tuned it up and it seems to be tuned well, and has a low following
> error (< 0.01mm) at about 400mm/min and below.
>
> The problem is that it seems to rapidly increase from there. 0.1mm around
> 3000mm/min and 1.5mm at around 12000mm/min.

Not sure why this would happen but what tuning options are available
for the drives PID loop?

A suitable amount of I term should be able to pull this in.

Another option is to close the position PID loop in linuxcnc
by setting the stepgen to velocity mode and adding a PID loop
with just P, FF1 and a bit of I and getting the feedback position
from the encoders

> Does anyone have experience with these drives? I've tried to utilize feed
> forward but it doesn't seem to make a difference.
>

> Being that this is my first servo drive, what would be a typical f-error
> for various types of machinery?
>
> Say for instance what would the following error be on a 1000in/min high
> dollar cnc vmc.
>
> What do people with home shop mills see?
>

> Thanks,
>   Curtis

Peter Wallace
Mesa Electronics