On 04/30/2014 11:37 AM, Curtis Dutton wrote:
> I recently installed an ACS806 brushless drive along with a BLM57130
> leadshine motor. The motor is a 130W motor with a 4000ppr encoder.

This is just my opinion, but to me 130 Watts is way too small,
especially with a router where you might need extra feed rate when
cutting wood. My mill has 350 Watt steppers but it doesn't need to go
very fast, and doesn't.  I would feel better with 500 Watt, 90 Volt motors.

> The controller is a step and direction type, with the encoder feedback
> passed back through to linuxcnc via a mesa 5i25 and a 7i86s.. So I'm using
> the drive to run the PID loop but having linuxcnc watch my f-error.

It would be interesting to see what kind of load the drive is seeing. An
advantage of having the PID loop in LinuxCNC is that you can use
HALscope to monitor the PID parameters to see if the output command is
getting saturated or hitting the load limit. It might be useful to see
if you can get the drive to tell you how hard it is working.

Hmmm... I just looked at the drive information:
http://www.americanmotiontech.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?category=4&model=ACS806

I would max out the drive voltage to the specified max. of 80 Volts if
you haven't done so. It also looks like there is a serial port on the
drive which you might monitor with LinuxCNC or with the tuning software
that comes with the drive.
--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/