On 05/04/2014 11:20 PM, Steve Blackmore wrote:
> Jon - http://imagebin.org/309092
>
> Tip of camera just touching surface. That's a 0.1mm gap set on the jaws
> of my Mitu digimatic calipers. The ground surface looks good until you
> zoom in :) Plenty good enough to find an edge.

Well, I don't want to have to get the camera all the way to
touching,
with a rigid mount in the spindle.  So, I have to make it
work a bit
backed off from the work.  I got the unit today, and without
zooming
the image from the camera, I'm not sure I can get .001" or
better
alignment.  But, with zooming in, I'm sure I can do a lot
better.
I tried it on my 3.5 GHz i5 system with Ubuntu 12.04, and it
works very well, with a great update rate.  I'm going to have to
update the computer on my Bridgeport as it is REALLY old and
only has USB 1.1 (maybe even 1.0).  I used guvcview, it
worked immediately, but doesn't seem to have a zoom function,
other than expanding the entire window.  Cheese seems to be
the same.  VLC gives you a 2:1 zoom as the only option.
There's a setting for "interactive zoom" but I couldn't
see that it did anything.  Also, there's about a 3/4 second
lag with VLC that I did not see with the other packages.
That might be annoying when using it for edge finding.

So, I have to set up a new LinuxCNC computer and then see
how well this works with the camview package.

Jon