On 05/04/2014 09:51 PM, Jon Elson wrote:

> And that one looks pretty good.  I'll have to see how good
> a picture it gives of the typical edge of a machined part,
> with possibly too much contrast to display perfectly.
> But, this could well do as good a job as a typical cheap
> edge finder.

That will depend on your lighting and background which you can optimize
for your situation. A spray of fine powder on the edge is also a cheap
and simple trick. You can also run different edge detection algorithms
based on your application in addition to contrast enhancement and noise
reduction.

http://www.owlnet.rice.edu/~elec539/Projects97/morphjrks/moredge.html

http://www.cs.haifa.ac.il/~dkeren/ip/lecture9.pdf

http://www.slideshare.net/contactsarbjeet/image-processing-edge-detection#btnNext