On 5 July 2014 22:14, Marcus Bowman <marcus.bow...@visible.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:
> I just don't believe in trying to trim the size or power of a stepper to save
> a few pounds/dollars. I'd rather over-spec slightly in the knowledge that I
> have power in hand.

It isn't necessarily that simple, though.
It seems that the smaller steppers typically spin faster. On my
mill/lathe the shortest, weakest stepper is actually the one that
stalls least frequently. It is the X of the lathe, and that does
generally need less force than the Z, though.

Once you bring gear ratios into the system you can end up with a small
stepper running at high rpm being more suitable than a larger,
higher-torque but lower-speed/higher inductance one.

However, if I was building a stepper machine I think I would be
looking carefully at the  hybrid systems:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301181761480

--
atp
If you can't fix it, you don't own it.