On Saturday 05 July 2014 22:36:42 John Alexander Stewart did opine
And Gene did reply:
> Hi Gene;
>
> No, my little Unimat is really just for show. I take it to exhibitions,
> and it moves around, but does not cut anything.
>
> I *could* take some of my spare parts and make it thread, but to be
> honest, it's one of the first ones, with a motor that is barely
> powerful enough to turn the spindle, so I don't think it'll be worth
> setting up to thread.
>
> I have turned some parts from Bronze on it, and it worked actually
> quite well, but that's about it. I could have turned these parts on my
> first CNC mill about 10x faster!
>
> (It's one of the first ones off the line - a cast iron "Mark1" model,
> and has right handed feed screws, so was useless for manual machining,
> as everything went the wrong way compared to my other equipment)

Humm, I think I borrowed one of those 45 years back, made a spindle nose
plug that ran true in a .303 case neck, and trimmed about 3 thou off the
outside of the neck so I could use mill 30-06 cases in a 303 barrel
someone had rechambered for 30-06, and which I had rechambered for the
P.O.Ackley version.  Once I got the right sized bullet for that barrel it
did nickel sized groups for the next 4000 rounds.

> Now, I'd like to see Cecil's little watchmakers lathe do the 00-80
> screws!
>
> JohnS.

That would indeed be a treat.  I haven't tried that size on my 7x12,
yet...   6-48's worked though. :)

While I do use that 0-80 size frequently, I do it with commercial screws,
taps and dies.  However I have made quite a few 1/4-28 threads using G76.
For #209M nipples for one of my BP rifles.  Non-vented for use with
Blackhorn 209 powder, which takes a tactical nuke to ignite it.  Its very
accurate stuff, IF you can get it lit. A #11 cap won't, and a vented 209
nipple won't, it takes the full power of a 209M shotgun primer in an
unvented nipple to do it.  Also quite expensive at $4 an oz in 10 oz
containers.