On Thu, 18 Sep 2014, p...@wpnet.us wrote:

> Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 15:56:32 -0500
> From: p...@wpnet.us
> To: emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net
> Subject: Re: [Emc-users] New to LinuxCNC and PnCConf and need some help...
>
> Ok, new information. It seems spindle operation is being disabled due to
> complaints about "unexpected real time delay", without any visible notation
> in LinuxCNC that anything has been disabled due to an error (poor form).
>
> To summarize the setup:
>
> The PC is one I built a year and a half ago, though I put in a new SSD dirve
> for this retasking of the PC. The PC is 100% dedicated to the lathe.
>
> It's based on an ASUS F1A55-M LX Plus R2 motherboard, with an AMD A8-3850
> CPU (4 core, 2.9 GHz) and 4GB of ram. I put a basic cheap video card in it
> since I'd read that the onboard graphics were often a problem, but this
> "unexpected realtime delay" seems to exist with either graphics adapter.
>
> The install was from a USB thumb drive with the latest hybrid ISO image,
> installing LinuxCNC 2.6.3 with all it's defaults. I didn't have the PC on
> the 'net when I did the install as I had to make a long cable to connect it,
> but I did do the available updates and upgrades later and they had no effect
> on this issue.
>
> Output in syslog:

A couple things:

1. A real time delay will not disable anything (well unless it longer than a
watchdog timeout period, this was not)

2. You have real time issues with your hardware (~289 usec latency at least
one time). This should be fixed before proceeding

http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?back=TroubleShooting

3. At one time on board video was suspect but this is not neccesarily the case
anymore

Peter Wallace
Mesa Electronics

(\__/)