The real impediment to LinuxCNC having a larger adoption is..   Arduino.

Not Mach. Not LinuxCNC itself.

The whole way the younger generation is being taught that what they are
doing is cutting edge and new and exciting and that there is nothing to
learn from CNC as it is old and outdated is the real problem.

Was on Slashdot a month, or so, ago and was discussing the Dremel 3D
printer. Someone asked why they did not have a commodity CNC mill instead.
I pointed out that the 3D printer was a very simplified CNC machine. A
milling machine has orders of magnitude greater complexity and the skill of
the operator needed to be higher, in general.  I had someone present a
number of cases of how skilled the operator of a 3D printer needed to be
(all of which dealt with how flimsy the reprap derived hardware was) and
someone else who referred to me as a buggy whip manufacturer. (Yes, and I
have been watching the newer generation work from starting principles
recreating buggy whips using christmas tree tinsel).

Machinists - or even people who understand the concepts - can make informed
decisions about which CNC interface to use. If I want to quickly re-skin
something for someone who is tech adverse, I would go with Mach in a second.

The young want "new" even if they have to buy into a myth to make it happen.

You want people to adopt LinuxCNC? You have to tie it to a new machine that
is cutting edge, then bill it as open source. Right now, Instructables is
hyping their new desktop milling machine and Make is excited about this new
innovation.