> From: p...@wpnet.us
> To: emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net
> Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 15:16:59 -0500
> Subject: [Emc-users] Lathe conversion with Mesa 5i25 / 7i76
>
> I'm back at work on my lathe conversion, reviewing what I have so far,
> cleaning up documentation, etc. I've run into an issue / question, hopefully
> I'm just missing something.
>
> I have my spindle encoder connected to the Mesa 7i76 TB3 encoder inputs,
> which seems to be ok (still have to test operation). I'm looking to connect
> my MPG encoder somewhere on the 7i76, and I though that could be done on
> regular inputs due to it's relatively low frequency operation. Looking in
> PNCConf I don't seem to see an option to put the MPG encoder elsewhere. Am I
> missing something? Is it supported but not in PNCConf?
>
> Thanks,
>
>    Pete C.

It is supported but not by pncconf.
I believe you have two options.
If the firmware is right, I believe there is a different 5i25/7i76 mode that
has an MPG input.
That MPG will be specific pins though (check the manual form Mesa)
This is a nice option as there is a x1 mode just for MPGs.

The other option is to load a software encoder counter and use any GPIO
inputs to supply it (even a spare parport)
I'm not sure if you would need a base thread or if the servo thread would be
fast enough - but I would bet the servo thread is fast enough.

Surely others can give you more specific answers.

Chris M