On 22 November 2014 01:49, Dave Cole <linuxcncro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there any reason why that patch could not be reviewed by the LinuxCNC
> devs and then pushed to master for further testing??

Looking at the patch, it is a big change.
But, it doesn't do a lot more than the offset-in-HAL approach does, in
fact it ends up looking very much the same.

Where it beats offset-in-HAL is that it works in axes rather than
joints. This is a big improvement for non-cartesian machines, less so
for anything using trivkins.

In some ways I like the patch because I have thought for a long time
that every axis should have an external offset input for special
purposes. (temperature compensations, that sort of thing).

It isn't jog-while-paused. It is a set of offset pins.

It could _look_ like jog-while paused, if something else manipulated
those pins in the right ways. For a trivkins machine, so could the HAL
offset approach.

It is easy to imagine a HAL component that offsets the joint
positions, and during pause watches the jog-wheels to change those
offsets. I might even write it to try out the idea.

The patch is a nice start, but in some was only serves to point out
that the really hard part might be persuading the system as a whole,
and especially the GUIs, to send jog commands to the JWP code in pause
mode.

--
atp
If you can't fix it, you don't own it.