On Friday 21 November 2014 16:10:26 andy pugh did opine
And Gene did reply:
> On 21 November 2014 20:56, Jeff Johnson <john...@superiorroll.com>
wrote:
> > Pete Wrote
> >
> > If you read that HAAS control description of how their Run, stop,
> > jog, continue works it seems to be pretty logical to me. It simply
> > requires the OP to after he has jogged to wherever he need to jog
> > back to a position CLOSE to where the pause happened initially and
> > then hit a key and the machine then takes over jogging at 5% speed
> > to the original position.
>
> I have been experimenting with the JWP from Machinekit in LinuxCNC.
>
> On the stock LinuxCNC 2.6.4 source in git I downloaded
> https://github.com/mhaberler/machinekit/commit/6b0aaf39b81cc6507de41b5a
> 74a6b0414744ea38.patch And applied it with git am -3 <
> 6b0aaf39b81cc6507de41b5a74a6b0414744ea38.patch
>
> Then recompiled.
>
> Then in a lathe config, by setting the new hal-pins
> motion.pause-offset-x 1
> motion.pause-offset-x 1

Looks like the above line should have said z, not x ;-)

> motion.pause-jog-feed 1
> motion.pause-offet-enable 1
>
> I get the behaviour shown here:
>
> http://youtu.be/mSx2zIUWVzQ
>
> I suspect that this would work for you, though appreciate that what
> you want is something in the released software.

That looks like it could be handier than sliced bread AND bottled beer.  I
would vote for that going into LCNC in a heartbeat.

I can also see, for somebody really familiar with our gui's, a quad of
buttons and an offset of that axis's display, one could then run the
paused point in and out to achieve a setting that hopefully would clear
the workpiece while moving in and out of the paused mode, from any place
on or in the workpiece.  Obviously would need to be adjusted on a per part
operation basis, and probably should be saved in position.txt too.

And just to save me at my years from loose nut behind the wheel mistakes,
ramping the spindle slider back to 100% as it arrives back at the work
position when unpaused would also be a nice touch as then it truly would
be a 1 click resume.

Yeah, I know, folks in hell want ice water too.  But none of this is
impossible now that its been done.

This subject comes up about 2x annually.  We wear it out and little or
nothing is done.  This looks like a heck of a good start!

So, tell us why not?