On 11/27/2014 08:32 AM, Karlsson & Wang wrote:
> A small value capacitor decrease the problem so I guess the
> commutation spikes are the problem but driving a capacitive load is
> not good.
>
> Nicklas Karlsson

(My general view on noise)
One should not expect to simply run a wire from a signal source to an
input in a machine environment and expect it to just work. Machines tend
to be electrically and magnetically noisy, and signal inputs tend to
have very high impedance. It's like the cable is a bottle and wind is a
noise source. Wind going over the end of a bottle will create a sound
which can drown out any sound you need to hear.

To fix this one can reduce the noise and/or increase the sound level of
the signal.

I found that AC line filters on VFDs or any switching power supply is
pretty much required. I had spindle encoder noise on the far side of my
lathe which was cleared up using AC mains filters on the VFD power
inputs and ferrite beads on the motor leads, thus reducing the noise
source. Sometimes an AM radio or oscilloscope probe can be used to scan
for noise sources, but I usually just add the filters anyway.

After reducing noise sources, the susceptibility for the bottle or
rather cable to be affected by noise can be addressed. Shielding is the
most obvious approach, but more often, line conditioning is the real
issue. A bottle will make sound due to a pressure wave, starting from
the top of the bottle and travels down to the bottom and bounces back. A
wire will do the same thing, and the source of the reflected wave could
be the signal itself as well as noise. One way to stop the pressure wave
from reflecting is to put a hole in the bottom, changing the bottle's
bottom from high impedance to low. There are many ways to configure a
wire to handle a signal, generally through termination and filtering.
Much of this has been worked out already, so the methods for handling
the type of cable being used should be studied and put into practice.

Another way to deal with noise is to boost the signal above the noise
level. That is why RS-232, RS-422/485 run with a much higher voltage
than USB, SPI or I2C. RS-422/485 use two wires, one with a positive
signal, the other with a negative version of the signal. Noise affects
both wires the same way, but the difference stays the same, so the noise
is ignored.

So for each signal:
What is the nature of the signal? (driver and input)
What is the nature of the wire? (impedance, configuration, termination,
filtering)
What is the nature of the noise environment? (suppression, shielding)
What method best addresses the above? (which industrial standard)

--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/