On Thursday 11 December 2014 07:56:51 Todd Zuercher did opine
And Gene did reply:
> Also remember that a larger stepper usually isn't going to be able to
> go quite as fast as a smaller one.

I thought that too, and had the old motor limited to 22 ipm because I only
have 28 volts for motor power.  That will be fixed in the next month as I
have some 48 volt supplies coming that I will rework into a supply per
motor system since they are only 3.5 amp rated supplies.  If I can turn
them down to 45 volts, the 50 volt rated drivers should be ok.  The
thought also crossed my mind to parallel them, with .1 ohm isolation R's
into a good sized capacitor and treat them as one supply If I can get the
voltages to match.  That might stop any surge shutdowns they may do
because at one point I was using a cheap switcher, two of them in series,
to get the volts I needed, but the back dump from the motors kept shutting
them off, one at a time.  Weird effect then, the motor could turn, but
only at about 10 rpm.

This bigger one seems happy at that speed limit, but is considerably
noisier than the older, weaker motor was.

I wish now that I had built the end rings that hold all this together with
a locking setscrew, with threads so I could turn it on the threads for a
more precise adjustment.

I have to go make a duplicate of the jig setup I made last night, but will
tighten up the clamp ring as far as I can compress it by hand before I do,
to see if that reduces/stops the rattling at mid speed noise.

I read up on the "rattler" version last night, and may make one of them
for testing, but will mill for a inner and outer o-rings on both faces to
seal in the heavy grease or STP I'll put in the pockets that hold the
weights.  Seems to me that may be a better design than these but use the
viscosity of the grease or STP as energy absorber.  That should stop the
rattling while still doing its job.

The size of the hole containing the weight roller vs the size of the
roller strikes me as being important and shouldn't be more than the equ of
a single step at that radii for clearance. The step being 1.8 degrees of
course.

All that of course if this tightening of what I have doesn't bring the
noise under control.

Thanks Todd.