On Wednesday 24 December 2014 05:53:33 Mark Wendt did opine
And Gene did reply:
> On Wed, Dec 24, 2014 at 5:44 AM, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:
> > > Wondered how long it was going to take for the RC guys to come up
> > > with a turboprop engine.  Back when I flew FAI pattern, state of
> > > the art was a YS 140 4 stroke motor, and jet engines were quite in
> > > their infancy.
> > >
> > > Nice piece of engineering.
> > >
> > > Mark
> >
> > I was impressed too, but what I was looking at is not the $75.00 .49
> > ci 2 stroker of yore, circa 1950.  That looked like serious 2014
> > money, well north of $750 I'll bet.  But it surprised me that the
> > air intake was at the rear.  Seems like a good opportunity to use
> > the jets left over thrust was thrown away.
> >
> > And, since no one seems to have mentioned it yet, Merry Christmas
> > everybody!
> >
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
>
> Gene,
>
> I used to have all the high performance 2 stroke engines back when I
> was flying RC planes.  My favorite was a Rossi .60 that I used on the
> old fashioned pattern birds, rear exhaust with a big honkin' tuned
> pipe that tunnelled under the bottom of the fuselage.

That can, if there is room to do it right, make a serious contribution not
only to the power, but the fuel economy.

> My other
> favorites were the high end OS engines, both 2 stroke and 4 stroke.
> OS made (makes?) some very nice power plants.

Been out of that for about 65 years now, so I am not "up to date" on who
makes what.  I went from those 2 strokes, to bigger ones on go karts back
in the day.

My most ugly ever kart was an old gopher that I'd hung a Pacific Marine
Bilge pump on swing mounts, with a pair of straight pipes about 20" long.
It was a hard bearing engine based on the 1937 J-E outboard where it was
about a 10 horse.  I tossed the lower two rings & blocked the groves, then
found a narrower, slightly smaller ring for the top ring and used it for a
groove stuffer holding a .025" thick steel ring.  It spun pretty freely
then.  Bored out the intake passage to the center of the crank which was
used as a rotary intake & put an overgrown Carter carb on it with a full
1" throttle bore.  Threw away the flywheel and put a Bendix-Scintella
button magnet magneto on it.  With 18 teeth on the crankshaft & 64 or so
on the axle, it could make north of 110 mph on the black hills blacktop
back roads running on gas, but when I took it racing I usually had booze
and castor oil in the left, 2 gallon tank. Water in an identical tank on
the right side and a small water pump belted off the axle circulated the
water thru a Nash heater core under the steering loop, open at the bottom
so air could flow thru.

That was an unusual hard bearing engine, the rollers in the con rods
weren't caged, and the rod caps were removable so one could fit bigger
rollers in much the same way we now fit ball screw balls. The part line
was very ragged as the rod was made in one piece with the bolt bosses
preformed, and then fractured at the cap boss.  When the cap was
reinstalled, the fractured grain assured perfect alignment and the
fracture line could not be seen or felt in the rod bore.

But at the end of the racing night it was not competitive because while it
could out torque anything on the track digging out of the corners, the
deflector head pistons generally quit working well at around 7 grand.  But
at 5500-6500, only one guy could out dig me coming off a corner and he had
3 West Bend 700's (illegally big by the rules then) lined up across the
rear of his machine.  He couldn't do it with 3 West Bend 580's on it
though, but those came alive at about the same point my bilge pump quit,
so he passed me easily halfway down the straight, burned into the corner
where I would make up 30 feet (he couldn't drive) but it wasn't enough.

But it was fun while it lasted. ;-)