On 02/01/2015 11:05 AM, Kirk Wallace wrote:
> On 02/01/2015 08:36 AM, andy pugh wrote:
>> On 1 February 2015 at 16:25, Kirk Wallace <kwall...@wallacecompany.com>
>> wrote:
>>> However, they are
>>> inflexible in their application, and must be specifically "tuned" to
>>> meet the drive system requirements
>> I wonder what that means, and if it is even true?
>>
> I know very little about resolvers, but I think it means that resolvers
> are analog so one needs to determine what the 100% and 0% signal values
> are, and values in between (to deal with linearity) to convert to data.
> Encoder signals are ether on or off and directly usable for data.

Yes, you need to set the device reading the resolver for the
transformer ratio of the
specific resolver.  Linearity is not a problem.  These
things are built to insane precision
for the aerospace and machine tool industries.  If you read
the data sheets on them,
they are tested with a goniometer and precision resolver
display to arc seconds
of accuracy.

Jon