On Wednesday 25 March 2015 20:22:14 andy pugh wrote:
> On 26 March 2015 at 00:12, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:
> > I had to reduce the P in the pid to the point it was essentially
> > worthless at sub 300 rev speeds.
>
> I am not sure that P is appropriate for a speed controller.
> The point is that P = 0 when the speed is correct. But you don't want
> 0 PID output when the speed is correct, or the speed will stop being
> correct.
> So, a speed loop might want to be mainly FF0 and I.

You AIR, said that when I was doing the setup, but the regulation was
very poor. Let me go see what its actually using now.

#********************
# Spindle
#********************
[SPINDLE_9]
P = 75.000
I = 1.000
D = 0.000
FF0 = 86.00
FF1 = 2.000
FF2 = 0.000
BIAS = 0.0000
FBIAS = 38
RBIAS = -38
ACCEL   = 5.7
LIMIT3_ACCEL    = 1600.0
LOWGEAR = 2.125
DEADBAND = 0.000
# diff between s_max_outut and s_scale sets max pwm duty, make max_out
98% of s_scale
LIMIT3_S_MAX_OUTPUT     =       2048
# But it needs clipped in both directions, so...
LIMIT3_S_MIN_OUTPUT     =       -2048
ENCODER_SCALE   =       200.0
PWMGEN_S_SCALE  =       2100
PWMGEN_S_FREQ   =       25000
# near_tol is now in %, 12.5 IOW
NEAR_TOL        =       0.5
NEAR_SCALE      =       1.075
ENCODER_SAMPLE  =       500000

And its running decently.  The weight of the chuck makes a pretty good
low pass filter.