On Monday 11 May 2015 22:19:11 Rafael Skodlar wrote:
> Tom,
>
> Hard to tell from the picture but I would make sure that ground is
> properly connected in "star configuration", i.e. there is only one
> ground point [1] in the cabinet and the CNC machine. I suspect you get
> some ground currents somewhere which possibly cause enough noise to
> mess up your VFD.
>
> [1] ground could be a copper bar with enough holes to attach all
> ground wires from all cables, CNC chassis, and power filter to it.
> Connect ground wire to the door itself and whatever is mounted on it
> as well.

I might add that plugging the monitor into a wall outlet, with its own
static ground, would likely be a no-no as that puts the monitors static
ground point clear back in the building service.  If possible, even the
static ground in the monitors power cable should be on this star ground
bar.  It would best be powered from power available in the servo/vfd
box, and grounded, to this same star ground.

What you are describing, to this old CET, sure sounds like the whole
building is a ground loop.