On 5/15/2015 3:28 AM, andy pugh wrote:
> On 15 May 2015 at 03:03, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:
>> I had a session day before yesterday of the back gear countershaft
>> squawling pretty bad, so I called Chris at LMS and bought the whole
>> headstock for a $132 bill with USPS shipping, and which arrived today.
>
> https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2299&category=1023914534
> ?
>
> I hadn't realised that the 7x lathes had a back-gear. My 9x (which
> seems to be a stretched 7x) had an all-belt arrangement (using the
> tiniest of V-belts)
> http://www.micro-machine-shop.com/9x20_lathe_belts_1.jpg

The 9x lathes are copies of the Emco Compact 8, with an extra 1/2" of
metal on the bottom of the head and tail stocks.

The gears in the 7x aren't actually a "back gear", it's a two speed
shift that either reduces or increases spindle speed from the input
shaft speed. There's no 1:1 drive. For the vast majority of what most
people do on a 7x it's best to leave it in low speed.

What's surprising is that in all the time various companies have been
making copies of the Compact 8, not one of the design's deficiencies has
been corrected by any of them. They all use that weedy little belt, no
tumble reverse. Nobody has made a gear drive headstock. They all use the
same flexible 2 bolt mounting ring for the compound. No manufacturer has
designed a proper 2 lever gearbox so change gears aren't needed at all.

If they did, such a gearbox would be cannibalized for many old lathes
that didn't originally have one.

The 9x lathe could be a quite nice hobby lathe IF some company would
apply all the common upgrades and fixes various owners have developed
for them, and expand the gearbox, and upsize the 7x headstock design to
three speeds with 1:1 in the middle.

---